New York News
Staten Island fire under control, could burn for days
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Firefighters on Staten Island say they have contained the brush fire burning in the old Fresh Kills landfill.
More than 200 firefighters worked through the night Tuesday to contain the five-alarm blaze.
The West Shore Highway had to be completely shut down Monday when smoke covered the roadway and blocked visibility.
The fire, fueled by the remnants of Hurricane Irene, caused frustration for drivers and provided plenty of work for firefighters. Debris from the hurricane was hauled to the landfill last summer, and after a winter without much snow or rain, it was dry and ripe for burning.
Firefighters say it was a challenge to put the fire down.
"No snow keeping it moist through the winter, and no rain," FDNY Deputy Chief Roger Sakowich said. "I don't think you had this dryness like this, and the hurricane, with the amount of compost you had."
There was no threat to homes in the area, officials said.
Firefighters also battled pockets of brush fire in Gateway Park in Great Kills, near Grayson Street.
Three firefighters suffered minor injuries, including smoke inhalation and exhaustion.
Follow these guidelines to reduce the risk of brush fires:
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, brush fire, new york news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 45 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion 11 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 3 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled 39 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system...
39 min ago
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
15 min ago
- Community tries to decide how to move...
44 min ago