New York News
Woman loses half her body weight by running
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 32 year-old Linda Romano from Long Island, NY weighed more than 300 pounds before she started running.
"I was in my early 30s really out of shape overweight," said Romano. "I had a great education and I realized my physical condition was really holding me back from a lot of things I wanted to do. I always said I was never a runner and I would never run unless someone is chasing me."
Instead of chasing her, Romano found someone to run beside her. "I'm really lucky to have Emily running every race with me," said Romano. Emily McSpadden helped Romano with her Medifast diet and encouraged her to sign up for a race. Romano went to the start line weighing 150 pounds more than she does today.
Romano says after 15 races and losing half her body weight, she's more in the middle of the pack and pushing herself more than she even thought possible. "I think once you get so over weight you feel like you are in quick sand and can't get out," said Romano. "And getting out is incredibly transformative."
Romano says she's not at her finish line. Running has given her a whole new outlook on life. She believes, "You can do just about anything you set your mind to and don't let yourself of the hook about anything ever," said Romano. "It's a decision about how you want to live your life and what kind of choices you want to make."
This Sunday, Romano and her finance Emily join 10,000 women in Central Park for the MORE/Fitness Magazines All Women's Half Marathon. The View's Elizabeth Hasselbeck will both host and run the half marathon.
new york city, weight loss, running, dieting, new york news, amy freeze
- Fire tears through Carlstadt post office 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire 13 min ago
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos