New York News
Search for hit and run driver who killed teen
BENSONHURST (WABC) -- Police continue to search for a hit and run driver after a teenager has died from his injuries in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn.
13 year old Henry Garcia was riding his bike northbound on 20th Avenue, between 80th and 81st street in Bensonhurst Saturday afternoon.
When he fell off the bicycle onto the street, he was run over by an oncoming vehicle.
Garcia was pronounced dead later at Coney Island Hospital.
Police are looking for the vehicle involved in the accident, a green Ford Explorer.
Helen Verello works in a tax office across the street from where the accident happened.
"We didn't think he was breathing, that's what I was told, so I called 911," she said.
Around 2:30 Saturday afternoon, Verello said one of her clients saw a green Ford SUV run over a teen on a bike - twice.
"He took off like a bat out of hell and went through the lights," said Verello. "Someone else saw and chased him, but he couldn't get any information because he was going too fast."
Police say the badly injured teen was rushed to Coney Island Hospital with severe head injuries.
All that was left in the street were his sneaker, a baseball cap and the bike he was riding
But surveillance cameras attached to a nearby house might shed some light on who was driving the vehicle.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bensonhurst, brooklyn, bicyclist injured, bicyclist killed, new york news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 38 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
38 min ago