New York News
Search for hit and run driver who killed teen
BENSONHURST (WABC) -- Police continue to search for a hit and run driver after a teenager has died from his injuries in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn.
13 year old Henry Garcia was riding his bike northbound on 20th Avenue, between 80th and 81st street in Bensonhurst Saturday afternoon.
When he fell off the bicycle onto the street, he was run over by an oncoming vehicle.
Garcia was pronounced dead later at Coney Island Hospital.
Police are looking for the vehicle involved in the accident, a green Ford Explorer.
Helen Verello works in a tax office across the street from where the accident happened.
"We didn't think he was breathing, that's what I was told, so I called 911," she said.
Around 2:30 Saturday afternoon, Verello said one of her clients saw a green Ford SUV run over a teen on a bike - twice.
"He took off like a bat out of hell and went through the lights," said Verello. "Someone else saw and chased him, but he couldn't get any information because he was going too fast."
Police say the badly injured teen was rushed to Coney Island Hospital with severe head injuries.
All that was left in the street were his sneaker, a baseball cap and the bike he was riding
But surveillance cameras attached to a nearby house might shed some light on who was driving the vehicle.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bensonhurst, brooklyn, bicyclist injured, bicyclist killed, new york news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- South Plainfield High School lockdown lifted
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos