New York News
Trade group proposes arming livery cab drivers
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Livery cab drivers could one day pack heat behind the wheel.
A trade group is proposing drivers be armed with licensed handguns to protect against irate passengers.
According to The New York Daily News, the request came during discussions about the new rules for the five-borough taxi plan. Some drivers say they are concerned about their safety when service is expanded, allowing them to pick up street hails in the outer boroughs.
Drivers say they need protection because they are often victims of violent crime. More than 400 yellow and livery cab drivers were robbed in 2010.
The suggestion comes at the same time transit workers are asking to carry tasers on the job. State Senator Eric Adams and Transit Workers Union Local 100 say it would allow employees to protect themselves and passengers.
The MTA is shooting down that idea, saying "The proposed legislation is the wrong way to go about protecting MTA employees. Asking them to carry weapons would cross the line into law enforcement, a function that is best left to the NYPD."
The Taxi and Limousine Commission is expected to vote down the proposal for drivers to carry guns at a meeting Thursday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, taxi, livery cab, new york news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
19 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos