New York News
TLC votes to allow livery cab street hails
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Taxi and Limousine Commission voted to allow livery cab drivers to pick up street hails in the outer boroughs.
The new rules allow 18,000 livery drivers to buy permits to collect people on curbs in upper Manhattan above 96th Street and the four other boroughs.
Advocates say it benefits millions of people in areas where yellow cabs aren't prevalent.
But owners of the city's signature yellow cabs have sued to try to stop it. The Metropolitan Taxicab Board of Trade says the plan is unfair to yellow cab owners who paid hefty fees for what has been an exclusive citywide right.
City lawyers say they're confident the plan meets legal requirements.
"A great deal of careful thought and consideration went into the adoption of this important new transportation initiative," City Law Department attorney Ave Maria Brennan said in a statement. "We are confident that it complies with all legal requirements - and that this challenge will be rejected by the courts."
The punishment for illegal operations would be much harsher for the livery drivers. Those who pick up even one illegal hail could lose their license and their vehicle.
The livery cabs could begin picking up street hails as early as late June.
The livery cabs will have a light on top and could possibly be green in color.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bronx, queens, staten island, taxi, livery cab, new york news
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 11 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 13 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 59 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 48 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos