New York News
No charges filed in Midtown accident
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say no charges have been filed against the driver of a Jaguar that caused a three-car crash near Times Square Saturday night that injured 10 people, including several pedestrians.
The accident happened just after 9 p.m., at 42nd Street and Sixth Avenue.
Police say the Jaguar rear ended another car while it was stopped at a red light at the intersection.
The vehicle that was rear ended spun around and was left facing eastbound.
It struck a taxi as it spun through the intersection.
The Jaguar flipped over onto the sidewalk and ended up striking 4 or 5 pedestrians.
Eight people were taken to Bellevue Hospital. They are all expected to survive.
Two others refused treatment at the scene.
Authorities say that the crash on a busy Saturday night near Times Square could have been much worse.
"There's a lot of lucky people right now," said FDNY Deputy Chief John Sullivan.
"You can see how packed Times Square is and when you have an accident of this kind, we're very lucky nobody's dead right now."
The crash shut down 42nd Street between Broadway and Fifth Avenue.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, times square, new york news
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor-elect de Blasio announces first appointments 1 min ago
- Most Metro-North service resumes on Hudson Line
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park 12 min ago
- Wake for one of high school sweethearts killed in crash
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem missing 19 min ago
- Prospect Park Zoo welcomes two new Zebus 24 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls to be released Wednesday
- 'Fast & Furious 7' halted after Paul Walker's death
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos