New York News
Parents protest asbestos removal from school
COBBLE HILL, Brooklyn (WABC) -- Parents are angry that there is an asbestos removal scheduled for the end of the week at their children's Brooklyn school.
Parents say it's bad enough there so much dust from all the work being done on the outside of this building, but now crews are scheduled to go inside and remove the asbestos from the classrooms.
That has the community up in arms.
Children still need to use those rooms for another two months.
All was well on the playground PS 29 in Cobble Hill Monday night.
It's what's happening inside the classrooms that has the community wearing masks and coughing.
No one disputes PS 29 is an old tired building in need of repairs but when parents learned that workers would begin removing asbestos from the classroom, they quickly organized this rally and signed petitions.
They are asking and demanding that asbestos removal be delayed until this summer when the children are not there breathing in the dust.
The young ones are getting a quick lesson in what a carcinogen is.
Despite their concerns, despite their pleas, Eyewitness News is told there will be no delay.
This Friday, teams will begin tackling the asbestos.
The chancellor explains there are 1,254 school buildings in the city.
They simply cannot wait until summer to do all the work.
As is, this school won't be finished until July of 2013 and that's without delays.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, cobble hill, new york news, lucy yang
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman 50 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos