New York News
Opening day for ING NYC Marathon
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Runners celebrated the opening day of the ING New York City Marathon on Wednesday at Columbus Circle.
The New York Road Runners (NYRR) announced the winning entrantss to the marathon, which will take place on Sunday, November 4, 2012.
The event included special appearances, giveaways and the announcement of some of the entrants into the ING New York City Marathon.
Each year, more than 145,000 people put their name in for the lottery, but only around 47,000 are chosen to run the world's largest marathon.
The ING New York City Marathon is the largest, most famous, and most inclusive marathon in the world. On the first Sunday in November, thousands of runners from all 50 states and more than 100 countries will take to the streets of New York City for an adrenaline-filled 26.2-mile tour.
In 2011, 47,763 runners finished - among the most in marathon history. Some run for prizes or bragging rights, others for charity or their personal best. All are cheered on by more than two million spectators.
Now in its 43nd year, the 2012 ING New York City Marathon will have a field of more than 47,000 runners. Of these, more than 8,000 participants will be running in support of charitable organizations, hoping to beat last year's record $34 million fundraising tally.
More than 14,120 New Yorkers ran their hometown race in 2011.
Geoffrey Mutai from Kenya holds the course record of 2:05:06 set in 2011 for men, and Margaret Okayo from Kenya holds the course record of 2:22:31 for women set back in 2003
For more information about the ING New York City Marathon and Marathon Opening Day, visit http://www.ingnycmarathon.org.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york city marathon, new york news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos