New York News
Runaway dog delays flights at LaGuardia
QUEENS (WABC) -- A puppy running loose on the runway caused several flight delays at LaGuardia Airport this morning.
The female dog, named Byrdie, got loose while being loaded onto Delta Flight 1573 to Memphis at 10:20 a.m.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback, approximately 30 pounds, ran around on runway 3L for about 10 minutes.
Passengers aboard the plane tweeted "dog on runway LaGuardia causes mayhem, passengers were not allowed to deplane"
Port Authority authorities quickly found the owner and brought her onto the runway to retrieve the runaway pup. The owner called to the dog, and the dog ran to her.
Two or three departing flights were briefly delayed.
Byrdie and her owner eventually made it to Memphis, safe and sound.
It's not the first time this has happened. A far less cute coyote alarmed pilots at Boston's Logan Field 2 years ago.
Last summer diamond back terrapin turtles en route to the beach to lay their eggs were in no hurry to cross the runway at JFK Airport as a Jet Blue pilot waited for clearance to take off.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, laguardia airport, queens, new york news
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Disturbing details emerge about suspected Etan Patz killer 55 min ago
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013