New York News
Runaway dog delays flights at LaGuardia
QUEENS (WABC) -- A puppy running loose on the runway caused several flight delays at LaGuardia Airport this morning.
The female dog, named Byrdie, got loose while being loaded onto Delta Flight 1573 to Memphis at 10:20 a.m.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback, approximately 30 pounds, ran around on runway 3L for about 10 minutes.
Passengers aboard the plane tweeted "dog on runway LaGuardia causes mayhem, passengers were not allowed to deplane"
Port Authority authorities quickly found the owner and brought her onto the runway to retrieve the runaway pup. The owner called to the dog, and the dog ran to her.
Two or three departing flights were briefly delayed.
Byrdie and her owner eventually made it to Memphis, safe and sound.
It's not the first time this has happened. A far less cute coyote alarmed pilots at Boston's Logan Field 2 years ago.
Last summer diamond back terrapin turtles en route to the beach to lay their eggs were in no hurry to cross the runway at JFK Airport as a Jet Blue pilot waited for clearance to take off.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, laguardia airport, queens, new york news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 15 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Investigation after police shoot suspect in Conn.
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris 59 min ago
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile