New York News
Runaway dog delays flights at LaGuardia
QUEENS (WABC) -- A puppy running loose on the runway caused several flight delays at LaGuardia Airport this morning.
The female dog, named Byrdie, got loose while being loaded onto Delta Flight 1573 to Memphis at 10:20 a.m.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback, approximately 30 pounds, ran around on runway 3L for about 10 minutes.
Passengers aboard the plane tweeted "dog on runway LaGuardia causes mayhem, passengers were not allowed to deplane"
Port Authority authorities quickly found the owner and brought her onto the runway to retrieve the runaway pup. The owner called to the dog, and the dog ran to her.
Two or three departing flights were briefly delayed.
Byrdie and her owner eventually made it to Memphis, safe and sound.
It's not the first time this has happened. A far less cute coyote alarmed pilots at Boston's Logan Field 2 years ago.
Last summer diamond back terrapin turtles en route to the beach to lay their eggs were in no hurry to cross the runway at JFK Airport as a Jet Blue pilot waited for clearance to take off.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, laguardia airport, queens, new york news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 14 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
16 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos