New York News
Child sex abuse charges deferred against aide
UPPER WEST SIDE (WABC) -- Prosecutors have dropped all charges against a New York City public school aide who was arrested for sex abuse at PS 84 on the Upper West Side.
Hany Abdalla, the married father of three, was freed late Thursday night after the charges made by a second-grader were disputed by other students and teachers.
The 8-year-old girl claimed the 35-year-old Abdalla made a comment of a sexual nature. A paraprofessional at the school since May 2007, Abdalla was removed from the classroom and suspended without pay.
The victim, a special education student, had told special victims detectives that Abdalla touched her and forced her to touch his groin.
The District Attorney's office continues its investigation and released the following statement:
"We have deferred any decision to prosecute until we complete our investigation. Because that is continuing, we will have no further comment. The Manhattan District Attorney's Office encourages any victims or parents of victims to contact their Sex Crimes Unit."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, upper west side, arrest, teacher aide arrest, new york news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 50 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 48 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment 23 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos