New York News
Child sex abuse charges deferred against aide
UPPER WEST SIDE (WABC) -- Prosecutors have dropped all charges against a New York City public school aide who was arrested for sex abuse at PS 84 on the Upper West Side.
Hany Abdalla, the married father of three, was freed late Thursday night after the charges made by a second-grader were disputed by other students and teachers.
The 8-year-old girl claimed the 35-year-old Abdalla made a comment of a sexual nature. A paraprofessional at the school since May 2007, Abdalla was removed from the classroom and suspended without pay.
The victim, a special education student, had told special victims detectives that Abdalla touched her and forced her to touch his groin.
The District Attorney's office continues its investigation and released the following statement:
"We have deferred any decision to prosecute until we complete our investigation. Because that is continuing, we will have no further comment. The Manhattan District Attorney's Office encourages any victims or parents of victims to contact their Sex Crimes Unit."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, upper west side, arrest, teacher aide arrest, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 10 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
23 min ago