New York News
Child sex abuse charges deferred against aide
UPPER WEST SIDE (WABC) -- Prosecutors have dropped all charges against a New York City public school aide who was arrested for sex abuse at PS 84 on the Upper West Side.
Hany Abdalla, the married father of three, was freed late Thursday night after the charges made by a second-grader were disputed by other students and teachers.
The 8-year-old girl claimed the 35-year-old Abdalla made a comment of a sexual nature. A paraprofessional at the school since May 2007, Abdalla was removed from the classroom and suspended without pay.
The victim, a special education student, had told special victims detectives that Abdalla touched her and forced her to touch his groin.
The District Attorney's office continues its investigation and released the following statement:
"We have deferred any decision to prosecute until we complete our investigation. Because that is continuing, we will have no further comment. The Manhattan District Attorney's Office encourages any victims or parents of victims to contact their Sex Crimes Unit."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, upper west side, arrest, teacher aide arrest, new york news
- 90-minute delays linger after LIRR service suspension
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash...
41 min ago