New York News
Woman celebrating birthday is raped walking home
SOUNDVIEW (WABC) -- Police are looking for a man who raped a woman as she walked home from celebrating her birthday in the Bronx.
The woman, in her 20s, was attacked on Croes Avenue, between Westchester Avenue at East 172nd Street at 4:00 a.m. Sunday in the Soundview section.
She was apparently followed into a fenced off driveway, between two red buildings, and then raped.
The suspect, described only as a Hispanic man, fled the scene.
The police commissioner indicated that investigators do not have a lot to go on.
"We have no developments on that. A young woman was followed into the building and she was in fact raped, but the investigation is going forward," Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
Moving forward, but still no arrest appears imminent. In the meantime residents are taking precautions, maybe change their behavior.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, soundview, crime, rape, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97