New York News
Baby dies while in foster care on Staten Island
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- William Monge is demanding answers even as he and his girlfriend mourn the loss of their 6-month old daughter, Genesis.
"I want to know what really happened to my baby, you know. I really want to know," Monge said.
The baby died Monday night after being rushed to the hospital from her foster mother's Steuben Street home on Staten Island.
Sources now tell Eyewitness News the baby had a 105-degree fever and marks consistent with past trauma. The medical examiner says results of an autopsy are inconclusive, pending further study.
"Our kids were never neglected. They were never abused," Nicole Fair, her mother, said.
The baby's biological parents insist the only reason Genesis and her older sister, 2-year-old Novella, were in foster care is because of the couple's constant fighting. And they'd begged to have the children placed with relatives.
"I want somebody to pay for this. If my kids would have been with their grandparents, none of this would have happened," Fair said.
Novella has been removed from the foster home and is in the custody of the Administration of Children's Services, which has not responded to our request for comment.
Meanwhile, detectives were back at the home trying to piece together exactly what happened.
"To be honest, I want my daughter back. I can't have her back," Monge said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, baby, child death, foster care, new york news, sandra bookman
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines