New York News
Changes to Bronx River Parkway after deadly crash
BRONX (WABC) -- Action is being taken to try to make the Bronx River Parkway safer, just days after seven members of a family died when their SUV plunged off the roadway.
Speed limits and barricades were put up on Wednesday, not only at the scene of the last accident, but also on two other sections of the dangerous Bronx River Parkway.
The deadly accident last weekend sent a speeding SUV flying off the viaduct and landing nearly 60 feet below right onto property belong to the Bronx Zoo.
Engineers and road crews descended on the parkway on Wednesday, closed-off the an entire lane of traffic and got to work. They posted signs, marked lanes, reduced the speed limit and made way for a series of larger barriers.
Robert Sinclair of the Triple A says the changes could not come soon enough where narrow lanes and low guardrails are believed to have contributed to the deaths of at least seventeen people.
Work crews are now focused on the viaduct where the latest crash took place as well as two others of similar design. The plan? To install large, concrete barriers along the right-hand lane in each direction in an effort to prevent what happened last Sunday.
The driver and her six passengers died on impact after their car struck the center median, skidded across the highway, and then hurtled over the guardrail to the ravine below.
State Department of Transportation Commissioner Joan McDonald said the department"shares community concerns about the safety of the Bronx River Parkway in the wake of the tragic crash. Since Sunday's accident, we have been working on interim actions that will be implemented on the parkway beginning this morning."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, bronx river parkway, bronx zoo, accident, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon 55 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 55 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 46 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 46 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
39 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building...
55 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
46 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos