New York News
Thugs rob 80-year-old of Social Security money
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are looking for two suspects wanted in the robbery of an 80-year-old man on the Upper East Side.
Modesto Cotto told us he had just returned from cashing his social security check around the block from the Jefferson Houses in East Harlem when 2 men casually entered his building just after 3 o'clock Thursday. Modesto says all of a sudden, they were on the stairs attacking him.
He says one of the men had him a choke hold. The other started feeling around for the wallet in his pocket and it contained a whole month's cash - $1,300.
Police from the 23rd precinct spent the day looking for the suspects. In surveillance video, they can be seen running from the building. One is bald in a black jacket. The other is wearing a blue shirt and an orange back-pack.
The victim, a father with 15 grandchildren and great grand-children who drove a city bus for 23 years without a single incident, still can't believe his close call, but his wife of 58 years is grateful that he is okay.
The first suspect is described as a Hispanic male, around 30 years old. His is approximately 5-foot-9 and weighs 180 pounds. He was seen wearing a blue shirt with white lettering and white sleeves, gray sweatpants, black sneakers and carrying an orange backpack.
The second suspect is a Hispanic male, also around 30, standing 6-foot-2 and weighing 200 pounds. The man, who was bald, was wearing a black jacket with a light colored collar, blue jeans and black sneakers.
Anyone with information in regards to this robbery is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, upper east side, robbery, new york news
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
55 min ago