New York News
Social network site for dogs
NEW YORK (WABC) -- They are stress relievers, care givers, and offer unconditional love. No wonder dogs have earned the title of man's best friend.
So it had to happen that eventually they would get their own social network.
It's a classic New York story.
A dog named Bandit's owner used the startup site WWW.MATCHPUPPY.COM, to find puppy playdates, an indication that perhaps social networking, has gone to the dogs.
Site founder Michael Chiang says the original business plan was to help with puppy love connecting owners looking to breed their pets. But eventually the team decided "just friends", was ok too.
"We realized there was a bigger need in the market to help dog owners kind of facilitate playdates online," he said.
Matches are made by neighborhood, breed and age, although some pet owners have the same human concerns about online matchmaking.
So far the site is limited to New York, but Chiang says other cities are being eyed as the next dog-meet-dog worlds.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
8 min ago