New York News
Social network site for dogs
NEW YORK (WABC) -- They are stress relievers, care givers, and offer unconditional love. No wonder dogs have earned the title of man's best friend.
So it had to happen that eventually they would get their own social network.
It's a classic New York story.
A dog named Bandit's owner used the startup site WWW.MATCHPUPPY.COM, to find puppy playdates, an indication that perhaps social networking, has gone to the dogs.
Site founder Michael Chiang says the original business plan was to help with puppy love connecting owners looking to breed their pets. But eventually the team decided "just friends", was ok too.
"We realized there was a bigger need in the market to help dog owners kind of facilitate playdates online," he said.
Matches are made by neighborhood, breed and age, although some pet owners have the same human concerns about online matchmaking.
So far the site is limited to New York, but Chiang says other cities are being eyed as the next dog-meet-dog worlds.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen