New York News
Family and friends return to scene of Bronx crash
NEW YORK (WABC) -- On Sunday afternoon, the victims' family went to see the repairs the city is making to this stretch of the Bronx River Parkway.
They hope if anything good can come out of this freak accident it's that the aging highway system gets major upgrades.
Juan Gonzalez and Juan Rosario have not driven along this stretch of roadway since their wives, daughters and in-laws' SUV flew off the Bronx River Parkway, stealing seven precious lives.
"We do not want to see this happen again. It's painful to see someone lose their life even more painful when it's seven," in Juan Gonzalez said in Spanish.
The livery cab driver's wife, Maria and his 10-year-old daughter Jocelyn died in the crash last Sunday afternoon. One week later, a caravan of 20 cabs escorted the family to the accident scene.
"We want to honk our horns seven times in the memory of the people who lost their lives on the Bronx River Parkway," said Fernando Mateo.
"We want to thank the general public that has accompanied us in this tragedy," said Juan Rosario in Spanish.
He lost his wife, Maria Nunez, three year old daughter, Marilyn and seven-year-old daughter Niely in the crash.
But the men who have lost so much say this not just a day of mourning-it's an opportunity to save another family from this indescribable pain.
In 2011, traffic fatalities in New York City were the lowest they have been in a century.
Replacing highways isn't at the top of many urban planners' wish lists.
One factor is the cost. By one estimate, merely operating and maintaining the present road and rail network through 2035 will cost $951 billion.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, bronx river parkway, accident, new york news, darla miles
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Charges expected in fraternity death 2 min ago
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing 21 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Charges expected in fraternity death
2 min ago