New York News
Charges dropped against 'Gentleman Groper' suspect
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Manhattan district attorney dropped all charges against the man accused of being the so-called Gentleman Groper.
Karl Vanderwoude was arrested more than two weeks ago and says he had the evidence to prove that he was not the serial groper wanted for four attacks in Manhattan.
I'm just really glad that it finally all came to an end," he said while leaving court. "I was confident that the truth would come out and justice would be served."
His employer reportedly had video of him at work at the same time that a woman was attacked at Second Avenue and East 67th Street. And restaurant receipts and witnesses are said to show show Vanderwoude was having dinner with friends when another woman was attacked.
It all means that his nightmare is now over.
"I was in shock, of course," he said. "I never had any interaction with the police like this before, and I was caught off guard. But I knew I didn't have anything to hide and I wasn't guilty of these crimes, and that would come to light."
Police have surveillance video of the suspect at the scene of some of attacks. Vanderwoude says it is clearly not him.
"It's a grainy image," he said. "The hair is similar, but he's clearly taller than I am, thinner than I am, and he dresses differently than I do."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, manhattan, sexual assault, new york news
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado 21 min ago
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Firebomb may have been used on police captain's home 53 min ago
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Connecticut rail service returns to normal 1 min ago
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student 29 min ago
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Firebomb may have been used on police...
51 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos