New York News
Teenager dies after falling into East River
EAST HARLEM (WABC) -- A 15-year old boy has died after falling into the East River Saturday night.
He was one of two teens who were walking along the water at East 105th Street and the FDR Drive in East Harlem.
They were apparently walking on a railing, when the boy fell into the water.
The NYPD and FDNY responded to the scene.
Authorities say the teen was under water for at least 20 minutes before he was pulled out.
Rescue crews worked to try to save him, after bringing him up from the water.
"We arrived in three and a half minutes," said FDNY Battalion Chief John Donnelly. "We had a diver in the water in ten minutes."
Despite their frantic efforts, the boy was pronounced dead a short time later at Metropolitan Hospital.
"I've never seen anything like that," said a witness, Carmen Vazquez. "And seeing a limp body like that, so young..it's hard."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east harlem, east river, water rescue, new york news, jeff pegues
- LIRR train derails in East River tunnel
- AccuWeather Forecast: Spotty Storm
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Victim of attempted robbery falls out window
- Suspect shot and killed in Newark robbery attempt
- Teacher suspended after alleged sending threatening voicemail
- Passenger arrested after incident on Newark-bound flight
- LI 7-Eleven owners accused of human smuggling
- NYC plans composting program to recycle food scraps
- abcnews: Murnaghans Face Backlash After Sarah's Lung...
- Actor Jeff Garlin won't face vandalism charges in LA
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos