New York News
Fatal hit and run in Queens
OZONE PARK (WABC) -- Police are searching for the driver involved in a deadly hit and run accident in Queens.Chaterem Singh was haunted by what he saw - the last few seconds of his brother, Rohan's life.
The accident happened early Sunday morning at Liberty Avenue and 108th Street in Ozone Park, and surveillance cameras caught everything.
Police say a pedestrian leaving a grocery store across from his place of work was struck by a vehicle travelling eastbound on Liberty Avenue. Rohan was tossed like a rag doll along Liberty Avenue. A second vehicle then followed close behind. The 47-year-old was thrown into a steel pillar and was motionless on the pavement.
The driver then fled the scene.
Rohan was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The married father of 2 from Guyana, had just left the corner deli, and was heading back to the bar where he worked.
"Just take him to the hospital, at least, we're all human beings - can't treat people like this," said Singh.
Police are looking for a dark colored Nissan Maxima.
People in the neighborhood say Rohan was a loving man who would help anyone - now his family needs help.
"If anyone could come out and say what happened - I don't want this to happen to anyone else," said the victim's sister, Feione Prsaud.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, ozone park, queens, hit and run accident, new york news, kemberly richardson
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Man charged with fatally shooting wife in Queens
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 19 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
53 min ago