New York News
Restaurant's liquor license blocked by delivery bikes
UPPER EAST SIDE (WABC) -- Neighborhood opponents recently blocked a Chinese restaurant's liquor-license application by arguing that the eatery created a danger to the elderly, the disabled, children and other pedestrians by using electric bikes to deliver food.
The owner of the Upper East Side restaurant says he took care of the problem, but we found illegal electric delivery bikes coming out of the restaurant when it opened and parked outside.
While doing an interview with the community board fighting the bikes, another one came up on the sidewalk.
David Rosenstein says delivery guys on bikes are a menace around 91st and 2nd Avenue, and it got so bad he and the board complained and blocked this restaurant's liquor license.
To be fair, as we were taping here roughly half of all the delivery bikes were illegal electric ones.
Danny Dong, the owner of the restaurant with the blocked liquor license, says it's not right to target him. He claims his delivery men fool him.
City Councilman Daniel Garodnick says nothing will change until illegal electric bike fines skyrocket.
In the meantime, community boards say going after liquor licenses may be their new weapon.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, upper east side, restaurant, new york news, michelle charlesworth
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 18 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
43 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos