New York News
Fundraiser for Williamsburg man draws outrage
WILLIAMSBURG (WABC) -- A controversial fundraiser for a man in Brooklyn who is accused of molesting a teenage girl is fueling outrage on the streets of Williamsburg.
At the center of the storm is Nechemya Weberman, a member of Brooklyn's Orthodox Satmar community. He was charged last year with sexually abusing a teenage girl.
Hundreds of people came out to support Weberman's defense fund Thursday night, and three people were arrested. Only about 100 people turned out to support the victim.
The victim said the abuse took place in Weberman's apartment after he was hired by the girl's family to counsel her when she was 12.
Weberman could not be reached to discuss the case. His attorney insists the allegations are a fabrication, saying Weberman has enormous support in the community.
A close adult relative of the accuser said the community support for Weberman is appalling.
"It's disgusting," she said. "And it is unbelievable what people are willing to cover up. They really don't know the truth".
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, williamsburg, crime, fundraiser, child sex assault, new york news
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 13 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309M for Tuesday drawing
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom 35 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
13 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos