New York News
Exclusive: Credit card, personal info posted online
NEW YORK (WABC) -- People's credit card numbers and all sorts of personal information have been found right on the internet, in an Eyewitness News exclusive.
The website was stumbled upon by Sean Herskovitz, who never expected to find what he did when he Googled his girlfriend's name.
He was shocked to find her credit card information for sale, along with her Social Security number and address. She wasn't alone - the site had information on hundreds of people.
Sean called several of the people on the list, most of whom thought he was running a scam.
Some of the writing on the site is in Russian, which gives the impression of an off-shore operation, but selling this kind of personal information is hardly new.The FBI says it always investigates credit card fraud, especially when it's internet based. However, officials wouldn't comment on this specific site.
Victims of online credit card fraud can file a complaint on IC3, the joint FBI and National White Collar Crime Center Partnership's website, or call FBI New York at 212-384-1000.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, credit card, new york news, stacey sager
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 20 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn 3 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in...
3 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos