New York News
Family, friends say goodbye to boy crushed by gate
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Family and friends gathered to say goodbye to the boy who was crushed while playing on an electric parking gate.
Funerals services were held for 12-year-old Yakim McDaniels, who was killed earlier this month in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn.
It was a tragic set of circumstances that led to this sad day.
McDaniels died a horrible death, being crushed to death as he tried to hang on the parking gate as it was going up. His hands apparently got stuck, and he could not escape.
A lawyer for the family says what makes this worse is that it appears security at the housing complex was aware the kids were playing a dangerous game of chicken with the gate, but failed to take action to make the kids stop.
Councilman Charles Barron has been with the family since the tragedy occurred on May 6, and he persuaded the housing complex owners, which include former New York Met Mo Vaughn, to pay for the funeral.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, brownsville, child killed, new york news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 50 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
59 min ago