New York News
Family, friends say goodbye to boy crushed by gate
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Family and friends gathered to say goodbye to the boy who was crushed while playing on an electric parking gate.
Funerals services were held for 12-year-old Yakim McDaniels, who was killed earlier this month in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn.
It was a tragic set of circumstances that led to this sad day.
McDaniels died a horrible death, being crushed to death as he tried to hang on the parking gate as it was going up. His hands apparently got stuck, and he could not escape.
A lawyer for the family says what makes this worse is that it appears security at the housing complex was aware the kids were playing a dangerous game of chicken with the gate, but failed to take action to make the kids stop.
Councilman Charles Barron has been with the family since the tragedy occurred on May 6, and he persuaded the housing complex owners, which include former New York Met Mo Vaughn, to pay for the funeral.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, brownsville, child killed, new york news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 11 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
19 min ago