New York News
Family, friends say goodbye to boy crushed by gate
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Family and friends gathered to say goodbye to the boy who was crushed while playing on an electric parking gate.
Funerals services were held for 12-year-old Yakim McDaniels, who was killed earlier this month in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn.
It was a tragic set of circumstances that led to this sad day.
McDaniels died a horrible death, being crushed to death as he tried to hang on the parking gate as it was going up. His hands apparently got stuck, and he could not escape.
A lawyer for the family says what makes this worse is that it appears security at the housing complex was aware the kids were playing a dangerous game of chicken with the gate, but failed to take action to make the kids stop.
Councilman Charles Barron has been with the family since the tragedy occurred on May 6, and he persuaded the housing complex owners, which include former New York Met Mo Vaughn, to pay for the funeral.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, brownsville, child killed, new york news
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Chilly Wednesday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Photos: Blind man and dog fall on subway tracks
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- ACS workers reach plea deal in girl's death
- Jersey City reveals what was inside mysterious safes
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos