New York News
Babe Ruth jersey sells for $4.4 million
NEW YORK -- A baseball jersey worn by Babe Ruth has sold for more than $4.4 million, a record for any item of sports memorabilia, according to the buyer and seller.
SCP Auctions says the circa 1920 New York Yankees uniform top is the earliest known jersey worn by The Bambino and it fetched $4,415,658 at the company's April auction, which ended Sunday. SCP Auctions says that price broke the previous record of $4,338,500 set in 2010 for James Naismith's founding rules of basketball.
Lelands.com says it submitted the winning bid for Ruth's jersey, which had been displayed for years at The Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum in Baltimore.
Suzan French, a spokeswoman for Lelands.com, says the company plans to sell the jersey privately rather than re-auction it.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york yankees, new york news
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD 54 min ago
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos