New York News
Babe Ruth jersey sells for $4.4 million
NEW YORK -- A baseball jersey worn by Babe Ruth has sold for more than $4.4 million, a record for any item of sports memorabilia, according to the buyer and seller.
SCP Auctions says the circa 1920 New York Yankees uniform top is the earliest known jersey worn by The Bambino and it fetched $4,415,658 at the company's April auction, which ended Sunday. SCP Auctions says that price broke the previous record of $4,338,500 set in 2010 for James Naismith's founding rules of basketball.
Lelands.com says it submitted the winning bid for Ruth's jersey, which had been displayed for years at The Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum in Baltimore.
Suzan French, a spokeswoman for Lelands.com, says the company plans to sell the jersey privately rather than re-auction it.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york yankees, new york news
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 56 min ago
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300 29 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam,...
56 min ago