New York News
Pedestrian killed in hit and run in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police in Brooklyn are searching for the driver in a deadly hit-and-run crash.
A 33-year-old man was killed, and investigators have few clues to work with.
Authorities are looking for a beige, four-door sedan, but that's all they know.
The driver struck Amjad Barakat around 9 p.m. at the intersection of 72nd Street and 7th Avenue in Bay Ridge.
The vehicle fled the scene in an unknown direction.
Upon arrival, officers found Barakat with severe head trauma, unconscious and unresponsive. EMS also responded and pronounced him dead at the scene.
Barakat's family describes him as a dedicated grad student and devoted husband and father. His sister, Almaza Barakat, gave a passionate plea for justice.
"He's a hard-worker," she cried. "He's a great student. He's a great person. He means no harm to no one. He has no enemies, but this person became my enemy. Whoever killed my brother is my enemy. And may God catch them. May the police catch them. May they be punished for what he has done."
She says that he has a wife in the Middle East, as well as an 8-year-old daughter and a 2-month-old little girl who he never got to see in person.
The investigation is ongoing, and anyone with information is asked to call police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, hit and run accident, bay ridge, new york news
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 32 min ago
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools 13 min ago
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday 16 min ago
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured 53 min ago
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem...
16 min ago