New York News
Actor Michael McKean stable after being hit by car
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A veteran actor is recovering in the hospital Wednesday after being hit by a car in Manhattan.
Now, the 64-year-old is lying in a bed at St. Luke's Hospital in Morningside Heights with a broken leg and facial lacerations after he was struck on West 86th Street and Broadway just before 3 p.m.
A two-car collision sent one of the vehicles barreling onto the sidewalk, where it struck McKean.
"He was grunting and he was trying to move," one witness said. "And it was just about, you know, just try and stay still."
Witnesses say the car that hit McKean also struck another vehicle, a mail box and knocked down two scaffolding beams before finally coming to a stop.
"As the car was going down the street, people were actually chasing after it," another witness said.
Three other people in the vehicles were also taken to the hospital and treated for minor injuries. McKean remained in the hospital on Wednesday in stable condition.
McKean is currently performing in Gore Vidal's "The Best Man" on Broadway. His manager told Eyewitness News that Tuesday night was the first time the "Best in Show" star ever missed a performance. When he will return to the show was not immediately known.
The driver of the car has not been charged.
CLICK HERE to see images from the scene. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, accident, upper west side, new york news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 11 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
11 min ago