New York News
Actor Michael McKean stable after being hit by car
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A veteran actor is recovering in the hospital Wednesday after being hit by a car in Manhattan.
Now, the 64-year-old is lying in a bed at St. Luke's Hospital in Morningside Heights with a broken leg and facial lacerations after he was struck on West 86th Street and Broadway just before 3 p.m.
A two-car collision sent one of the vehicles barreling onto the sidewalk, where it struck McKean.
"He was grunting and he was trying to move," one witness said. "And it was just about, you know, just try and stay still."
Witnesses say the car that hit McKean also struck another vehicle, a mail box and knocked down two scaffolding beams before finally coming to a stop.
"As the car was going down the street, people were actually chasing after it," another witness said.
Three other people in the vehicles were also taken to the hospital and treated for minor injuries. McKean remained in the hospital on Wednesday in stable condition.
McKean is currently performing in Gore Vidal's "The Best Man" on Broadway. His manager told Eyewitness News that Tuesday night was the first time the "Best in Show" star ever missed a performance. When he will return to the show was not immediately known.
The driver of the car has not been charged.
CLICK HERE to see images from the scene. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, accident, upper west side, new york news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 17 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 16 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 7 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 5 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos