New York News
Woman hacked with meat cleaver; husband arrested
FLUSHING (WABC) -- A Queens woman is in critical condition after police say she was repeatedly struck in the head with a meat cleaver.
The woman's husband was arrested following the attack, which happened in the couple's apartment at 42-11 Parsons Boulevard just before 6 a.m. Wednesday.
Police say a Good Samaritan kept the attack from being much worse.
The husband, identified as 53-year-old Kang Wang, reportedly has a history of mental illness and was released from Elmhurst Hospital's psychiatric ward on Tuesday. Police believe he simply snapped.
A trail of blood led down the stairs, tracing the victim's rush to escape her husband. She was identified as 52-year-old Liu Heizhen.
Authorities say a Good Samaritan stepped in once the victim was outside, beating Wang with an ice scraper until police arrived.
Witnesses say the victim was bleeding profusely from her head and arms. Wang was taken away on a stretcher, believed to have a broken arm. The cleaver was recovered at the scene.
Authorities say the couple's 22-year-old son was at home at the time and tried to intervene. He was treated for minor injuries. Heizhen remains in critical condition at New York Hospital-Queens, fighting for her life.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, flushing, assault, new york news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 5 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
12 min ago