New York News
Authorities investigating possible murder-suicide
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A woman is dead and a man is in critical condition in what sources say looks like an attempted murder suicide in a Bayside, Queens, home.
Firefighters were called to 39-20 214th Place at 7:24 p.m. on Wednesday for a fire. They found the husband and wife in the basement where the fire started.
A 57-year-old woman was found with a serious head wound. She was taken to Flushing Hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.
A 56-year-old man was found hanging in the basement in an apparent suicide attempt. He was unconscious, and was taken to New York Hospital Queens in critical condition.
The couple's landlord said the pair fought constantly.
Three firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The fire was contained to the basement and placed under control around 8:30 p.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, murder, murder suicide, new york news, jeff pegues
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76 18 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 21 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos