New York News
Authorities investigating possible murder-suicide
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A woman is dead and a man is in critical condition in what sources say looks like an attempted murder suicide in a Bayside, Queens, home.
Firefighters were called to 39-20 214th Place at 7:24 p.m. on Wednesday for a fire. They found the husband and wife in the basement where the fire started.
A 57-year-old woman was found with a serious head wound. She was taken to Flushing Hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.
A 56-year-old man was found hanging in the basement in an apparent suicide attempt. He was unconscious, and was taken to New York Hospital Queens in critical condition.
The couple's landlord said the pair fought constantly.
Three firefighters suffered minor injuries.
The fire was contained to the basement and placed under control around 8:30 p.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, murder, murder suicide, new york news, jeff pegues
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos