New York News
Annual Intrepid ceremony to honor service members
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Hundreds of veterans and active members of the armed forces are gathering this morning on Manhattan's west side.
They joined visiting marines and sailors in the city for Fleet Week for a Memorial Day ceremony at the Intrepid Sea Air, and Space Museum.
Just before Noon, a wreath was tossed into the water in honor of fallen service members.
Hundreds of people attended the ceremony.
There are also parades throughout the area.
Members of the military led the parade in White Plains in Westchester County this morning.
School children and other residents also marched to show their appreciation.
In East Meadow in Nassau County, Long Island, marching bands participated in the parade for veterans. People lined up along the streets to show their support.
Meanwhile, others enjoyed the sun and the surf on this holiday, many trying to say cool on this hot day on Jones Beach.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, memorial day, new york news
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothes dead, 3 firefighters hurt 2 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx 42 min ago
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC botique 17 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident