New York News
Afghanistan war vet, service dog facing eviction
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Afghanistan war vet Eugene Ovsishcher says his shih tzu, Mickey provides the balm he needs to soothe his post traumatic stress symptoms.
"He helps me to calm down my anxiety. And sometimes when I'm stressed out, he helps me to overcome without using the strong medicine," says Ovsishcher.
However, Ovsishcher is now facing eviction from his three bedroom co-op at Trump Village in Coney Island because the complex has a no-pet policy.
An attorney for Trump Village has said a letter from the veteran's family doctor was not proof that Mickey is a comfort dog-and therefore he's not exempt from the no-pet policy.
Ovsishcher says he feels torn between a home for his wife and two children, and the dog that he says has saved his life.
"It's the first time I ever had a roof. My own space," adds Ovsischer.
Some owners at Trump Village, currently protesting what they call board corruption, believe the eviction over Mickey is politically motivated-since he is not the only dog here.
"It's not an issue. I mean, there's very little I as a person can do about it. On my floor we happen to have two," said Trump Village resident Mina Hickey.
The combat veteran says he will fight for Mickey and his home.
"I'll win or I'll die fighting. I'm a soldier," said Ovsishcher
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, coney island, new york news, sandra bookman
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 33 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest