New York News
Afghanistan war vet, service dog facing eviction
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Afghanistan war vet Eugene Ovsishcher says his shih tzu, Mickey provides the balm he needs to soothe his post traumatic stress symptoms.
"He helps me to calm down my anxiety. And sometimes when I'm stressed out, he helps me to overcome without using the strong medicine," says Ovsishcher.
However, Ovsishcher is now facing eviction from his three bedroom co-op at Trump Village in Coney Island because the complex has a no-pet policy.
An attorney for Trump Village has said a letter from the veteran's family doctor was not proof that Mickey is a comfort dog-and therefore he's not exempt from the no-pet policy.
Ovsishcher says he feels torn between a home for his wife and two children, and the dog that he says has saved his life.
"It's the first time I ever had a roof. My own space," adds Ovsischer.
Some owners at Trump Village, currently protesting what they call board corruption, believe the eviction over Mickey is politically motivated-since he is not the only dog here.
"It's not an issue. I mean, there's very little I as a person can do about it. On my floor we happen to have two," said Trump Village resident Mina Hickey.
The combat veteran says he will fight for Mickey and his home.
"I'll win or I'll die fighting. I'm a soldier," said Ovsishcher
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, coney island, new york news, sandra bookman
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 4 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos