New York News
Afghanistan war vet, service dog facing eviction
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Afghanistan war vet Eugene Ovsishcher says his shih tzu, Mickey provides the balm he needs to soothe his post traumatic stress symptoms.
"He helps me to calm down my anxiety. And sometimes when I'm stressed out, he helps me to overcome without using the strong medicine," says Ovsishcher.
However, Ovsishcher is now facing eviction from his three bedroom co-op at Trump Village in Coney Island because the complex has a no-pet policy.
An attorney for Trump Village has said a letter from the veteran's family doctor was not proof that Mickey is a comfort dog-and therefore he's not exempt from the no-pet policy.
Ovsishcher says he feels torn between a home for his wife and two children, and the dog that he says has saved his life.
"It's the first time I ever had a roof. My own space," adds Ovsischer.
Some owners at Trump Village, currently protesting what they call board corruption, believe the eviction over Mickey is politically motivated-since he is not the only dog here.
"It's not an issue. I mean, there's very little I as a person can do about it. On my floor we happen to have two," said Trump Village resident Mina Hickey.
The combat veteran says he will fight for Mickey and his home.
"I'll win or I'll die fighting. I'm a soldier," said Ovsishcher
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, coney island, new york news, sandra bookman
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 4 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 3 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos