New York News
Young girl critical after being stabbed in Queens
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 9-year-old gir is fighting for her life after she was stabbed in the Springfield Gardens section of Queens Tuesday morning.
The suspect is the girl's own mother, identified as Anne Carimbocas, who allegedly stabbed young Briani Davis four times in the neck and back with an 8-inch kitchen knife.
The attack happened inside a two-family home just after 10:30 a.m.
Neighbors say even first responders seemed shocked.
"I just saw all of them running to the house, and then one came out and said to the other EMT, hurry up, it's a baby, it's a baby," neighbor Lindsay Fortune said.
Police say the vicious assault only ended because a man inside the home intervened.
"He is slightly injured," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said. "He's cut on the leg with a knife. He actually holds the woman in custody until the police arrive."
Appearing incoherent and moaning loudly, Carimbocus was driven away from the scene in a squad car. Later at the 105th Precinct, she reportedly tried to stab an officer with a pen. She had to be subdued before being taken to North Shore Long Island Jewish Hospital for evaluation.
Meanwhile, investigators confirmed that the mother and daughter did not live at the home. They were just visiting friends.
Detectives are still trying to figure out what would lead a mother to try to kill her own daughter.
Briani continues to recover at the hospital.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, stabbing, child injured, new york news
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Tornadoes slam Midwest; 1 dead in Oklahoma
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 53 min ago
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers