New York News
Young girl critical after being stabbed in Queens
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 9-year-old gir is fighting for her life after she was stabbed in the Springfield Gardens section of Queens Tuesday morning.
The suspect is the girl's own mother, identified as Anne Carimbocas, who allegedly stabbed young Briani Davis four times in the neck and back with an 8-inch kitchen knife.
The attack happened inside a two-family home just after 10:30 a.m.
Neighbors say even first responders seemed shocked.
"I just saw all of them running to the house, and then one came out and said to the other EMT, hurry up, it's a baby, it's a baby," neighbor Lindsay Fortune said.
Police say the vicious assault only ended because a man inside the home intervened.
"He is slightly injured," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said. "He's cut on the leg with a knife. He actually holds the woman in custody until the police arrive."
Appearing incoherent and moaning loudly, Carimbocus was driven away from the scene in a squad car. Later at the 105th Precinct, she reportedly tried to stab an officer with a pen. She had to be subdued before being taken to North Shore Long Island Jewish Hospital for evaluation.
Meanwhile, investigators confirmed that the mother and daughter did not live at the home. They were just visiting friends.
Detectives are still trying to figure out what would lead a mother to try to kill her own daughter.
Briani continues to recover at the hospital.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, stabbing, child injured, new york news
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded 10 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Funeral held for NYPD traffic agent hit by truck
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later 21 min ago
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary 54 min ago