New York News
Hero NYPD officers honored
LOWER MANHATTAN (WABC) -- Three NYPD officers came under fire trying to save a pregnant woman and her 4 month old from a heavily armed ex-con in Brooklyn last month.
Today with the help of crutches, canes, and the broad shoulders of the NYPD they were each moved up the detective ranks.
"This morning we're promoting three who displayed tremendous courage under fire. Along with their fellow officers they stopped a dangerous and determined felon," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
Detectives Kenneth Ayala, Michael Keenan and Matthew Granahan managed to save a pregnant woman and her son from her 33 year old ex-con boyfriend who barricaded them inside a Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn apartment.
The suspect fired 12 shots, hitting Ayala in the thigh and foot and Keenan and Granahan in the calf.
"Everything happened so fast you really don't have time to think. Thanks to Kenny and mike we're ok. We did our job like we're supposed to do," Granahan said.
Detective Ayala is credited with saving his colleagues lives by protecting them with a bulletproof shield.
Despite their injuries the men caught the suspect who just served 10 years in prison for attempted murder.
"We like what we do. we train really hard. it all pays off in the long run like it did that night," Ayala said.
"We're a small unit. We're very tight. I was close with Kenny before this. The banter is always flowing, always joking with each other," Kennan said.
Ayala, Keenan and Granahan are the latest NYPD officers to win promotions after being wounded in the line of duty in Lower Manhattan Carolina Leid channel seven eyewitness news.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, nypd, brooklyn, sheepshead bay, new york news, carolina leid
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache
- Amanda Bynes arrested, allegedly tosses bong out window
- Man fatally stabbed during dispute in Chelsea
- Man beaten by subway performers on F train in Astoria
- Brooklyn robber terrorizing teens with knife, box cutter
- Police hunt for man targeting Queens change machines
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- GMA's 2013 Summer Concert Series kicks off Friday
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos