New York News
Family of Harlem boy blames bullies for suicide
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of a 12-year-old East Harlem boy who committed suicide blames neighborhood bullies for his death.
A candlelight memorial for Joel Morales has been set up outside the Jefferson Houses, where Morales lived and died.
His mother says he hanged himself on a shower rod Tuesday.
The family had gone as far as transferring schools to get away from kids who taunted him about being short and brainy.
But his mother says the bullying continued in his own neighborhood.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east harlem, bullying, suicide, new york news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Chilly Wednesday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Photos: Blind man and dog fall on subway tracks
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- ACS workers reach plea deal in girl's death
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos