New York News
Family of Harlem boy blames bullies for suicide
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of a 12-year-old East Harlem boy who committed suicide blames neighborhood bullies for his death.
A candlelight memorial for Joel Morales has been set up outside the Jefferson Houses, where Morales lived and died.
His mother says he hanged himself on a shower rod Tuesday.
The family had gone as far as transferring schools to get away from kids who taunted him about being short and brainy.
But his mother says the bullying continued in his own neighborhood.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east harlem, bullying, suicide, new york news
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Metro North trains set to be removed from accident scene 6 min ago
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers