New York News
Family of Harlem boy blames bullies for suicide
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of a 12-year-old East Harlem boy who committed suicide blames neighborhood bullies for his death.
A candlelight memorial for Joel Morales has been set up outside the Jefferson Houses, where Morales lived and died.
His mother says he hanged himself on a shower rod Tuesday.
The family had gone as far as transferring schools to get away from kids who taunted him about being short and brainy.
But his mother says the bullying continued in his own neighborhood.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east harlem, bullying, suicide, new york news
- At least 2 dead, 22 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 24 min ago
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase