New York News
Family of Harlem boy blames bullies for suicide
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The family of a 12-year-old East Harlem boy who committed suicide blames neighborhood bullies for his death.
A candlelight memorial for Joel Morales has been set up outside the Jefferson Houses, where Morales lived and died.
His mother says he hanged himself on a shower rod Tuesday.
The family had gone as far as transferring schools to get away from kids who taunted him about being short and brainy.
But his mother says the bullying continued in his own neighborhood.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, east harlem, bullying, suicide, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 43 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 41 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
30 min ago