New York News
City Council considers mandatory bike helmet law
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Bicycle stores in the five boroughs of New York City might want to stock up on bike helmets.
A bill being introduced in the City Council would reportedly require bike riders of all ages to wear helmets while riding in the city.
The current law requires helmets only for those under 14.
But even if the new bill passes in the council, the Wall Street Journal says it will face opposition from Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- PATH service suspended due to leaning pole 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond 45 min ago
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak 29 min ago
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 1 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 2 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Newark tanker fire snarls traffic, delays NJ Transit trains 27 min ago
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas