New York News
Teacher arrested, charged with raping student
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A teacher at James Madison High School in Brooklyn has been arrested on rape charges, after being accused of having a sexual relationship with a student.
According to a Special Commissioner of Investigation report, English teacher Erin Sayar, 35, had sex with an 11th grader at least eight times last December.
Investigators were tipped off by a girl who had a crush on the alleged victim and read Facebook posts between the two.
Although the student initially denied any romance with Sayar, authorities obtained phone records that showed the couple had exchanged 19 telephone calls and 3,856 text messages in December 2011.
When confronted with the evidence, investigators said the victim admited to having sex with Sayar between 8 and a dozen occassions on the campus of James Madison High School and in her SUV.
Police arrested Sayar on Thursday and charged her on 8 counts, including rape, sexual misconduct and sex abuse.
Sayar is married with a 3-year-old daughter.
The school in Brooklyn is the same one where two females teachers were caught in a naked embrace in a classroom in 2009. They were fired.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, teacher, sex, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 58 min ago
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather 42 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
39 min ago