New York News
1 dead, 1 critical after police chase ends in crash
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One person was killed and other critically injured when a car being pursued by New Rochelle police careened into parked cars in the Bronx early Monday.
"I just seen it on the news, like it's an accident. Oh snap, that's my car and I came running outside," Bruce Cheeseboro said.
Cheeseboro came outside and saw the damage up close and personal. A 2009 Nissan Maxima slammed into his parked car and several others early this morning on Givan Avenue in the Baychester section of the Bronx. The passenger died. The driver suffered serious injuries.
"The back bumper is off, the tire is bent in, front smashed up, the car is totaled," Cheeseboro said.
But how the gray sedan ended up here - that's the other half of the story.
Shortly before 5:00 a.m. A New Rochelle police officer noticed a suspicious vehicle near a large new Honda car lot along East Main Street. When the officer tried to stop the car, the driver took off and led police on a 7 mile pursuit down Interstate 95 before the crash on Palmer Avenue.
"They could not have been apprehended any other way. They pursued the vehicle because he believed that a serious crime had just been committed and they were in pursuit," New Rochelle Police Capt. Joseph Schaller said.
And here's a big reason why the officer believed a crime was committed. In the last two weeks there have been two robberies in the very same new car lot - big time robberies.
"May 25th they stole 17 catalytic converters from this parking lot. On May 30th they stole 72 wheels from vehicles parked in the lot," Schaller explained.
The captain told us 11 wheels were taken this morning. Six of them were found in the suspect's vehicle.
The names of the suspects were not immediately released.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, new rochelle, accident, police chase, new york news, joe torres
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 39 min ago
- Obama to meet with Ukraine prime minister Wednesday 23 min ago
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 1 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos