New York News
Search for pit bull after girl, mother attacked
SOUTH OZONE PARK (WABC) -- A 4-year-old girl is in the hospital, recovering after being attacked by a pit bull in Queens.
Eyewitness News talked exclusively to her father.
The dog is still on the loose, and the girl's mother was also hurt in the attack.
"It was a brown dog, a big dog, more than 50 pounds," dad Mohammed Alreyassi said.
That dog is responsible for the broken bones and tattered frame of little Reen Alreyassi, who underwent surgery at Jamaica Hospital.
"He attacked my daughter and he broke her leg," Alreyassi said. "And he broke her bone, too, and then he attacked my wife."
Alreyassi was at work when his wife and daughter stepped out of their South Ozone Park home just after 2 p.m. Sunday. That's when he says a pit bull came from around this corner and latched on to Reen's leg. Her mother tried to stop the dog and was bitten in her leg.
"She was trying to pull the girl inside the house and the dog was trying to pull her out," neighbor Kevin Parmanand said.
An hour and a half before the attack, a pit bull was caught on surveillance video approaching another neighbor just two doors down.
It's not confirmed if it is the same dog that attacked the mother and daughter. However, on Monday, animal control officers were in the neighborhood searching for the dog.
Alreyassi says the animal returned 30 minutes after his daughter was bitten, and he believes the city should have captured it then.
"The NYPD is supposed to be finding who owns is this dog," he said. "It's very dangerous."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, ozone park, queens, pit bull attack, new york news, darla miles
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 34 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 32 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 31 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 32 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
32 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega...
31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos