New York News
Marchella Pierce mom gets 32 to life for girl's murder
NEW YORK -- The mother of a little girl who was beaten, starved and drugged has been sentenced to 32 years to life in prison.
Carlotta Brett-Pierce was convicted of murder last month in the death of 4-year-old Marchella Pierce.
She told the court Wednesday that she was not responsible for her daughter's death. She said she lacked the education, skill and money to care for an ailing child.
When police found Marchella on Sept. 2, 2010, she had 60 adult doses of Claritin and 30 doses of Benadryl in her system. Her stomach contained one kernel of corn. She weighed 18.8 pounds, half the weight of an average child her age.
Pierce's grandmother, Loretta Brett, was convicted of manslaughter in the case and faces up to 25 years in prison. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, child killed, trial, legal, new york news
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane
13 min ago