New York News
Teenager shot after trying to break up robbery
BRIGHTON BEACH (WABC) -- A Brooklyn teenager who tried to stop a robbery ended up getting shot in the back.
It happened near Grady High School, close to a playground packed with kids in Brighton Beach.
"I think this is disturbing, in broad daylight, with young children in the area," area resident Gloria White said.
The shooter apparently didn't seem to care. According to witnesses, the suspects were after a designer bag. They confronted a group of Grady High School students that included the victim.
"We were playing basketball in the 9th period," said one of the victim's friends, who didn't want to be identified.
He says a group of about nine people approached, and he was scared because they pointed a gun at him.
The suspects threatened another teen in the group, and that's when he says 17-year-old Fritz Pascal intervened.
Pascal was shot once and underwent surgery on Wednesday afternoon at Lutheran Hospital.
He was listed in serious but stable condition, and he is expected to survive.
Four suspects are in custody, and a 9MM semi-automatic gun was recovered.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, brighton beach, shooting, new york news, jeff pegues
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 27 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 17 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos