New York News
Woman, child injured by falling store gate in Brooklyn
PARK SLOPE (WABC) -- A child and his babysitter were seriously hurt when a store security gate crashed onto them in Brooklyn Thursday.
The incident happened in Park Slope, at Fifth Avenue and President Street.
The 2-year-old boy and his 59-year-old babysitter were walking by the Fifth Avenue Cat Clinic around 4 p.m. when the 16-foot-wide rolled-up gate and its frame came off the building and fell onto them.
The boy broke his leg and is listed in stable condition at Lutheran Hospital. The babysitter was treated and released.
Investigators from the Department of Buildings issued a failure to maintain violations to the building owners, but since the gates are not really a part of the building, the buildings department doesn't normally inspect them.
In May, a 12-year-old Brooklyn boy was crushed to death when he got caught in an electronic roll-up gate.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, park slope, child injured, new york news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos