New York News
Woman, child injured by falling store gate in Brooklyn
PARK SLOPE (WABC) -- A child and his babysitter were seriously hurt when a store security gate crashed onto them in Brooklyn Thursday.
The incident happened in Park Slope, at Fifth Avenue and President Street.
The 2-year-old boy and his 59-year-old babysitter were walking by the Fifth Avenue Cat Clinic around 4 p.m. when the 16-foot-wide rolled-up gate and its frame came off the building and fell onto them.
The boy broke his leg and is listed in stable condition at Lutheran Hospital. The babysitter was treated and released.
Investigators from the Department of Buildings issued a failure to maintain violations to the building owners, but since the gates are not really a part of the building, the buildings department doesn't normally inspect them.
In May, a 12-year-old Brooklyn boy was crushed to death when he got caught in an electronic roll-up gate.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, park slope, child injured, new york news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk 17 min ago
- Demolition to begin at Edison school gutted by fire 7 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 31 min ago
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet 53 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos