New York News
Woman, child injured by falling store gate in Brooklyn
PARK SLOPE (WABC) -- A child and his babysitter were seriously hurt when a store security gate crashed onto them in Brooklyn Thursday.
The incident happened in Park Slope, at Fifth Avenue and President Street.
The 2-year-old boy and his 59-year-old babysitter were walking by the Fifth Avenue Cat Clinic around 4 p.m. when the 16-foot-wide rolled-up gate and its frame came off the building and fell onto them.
The boy broke his leg and is listed in stable condition at Lutheran Hospital. The babysitter was treated and released.
Investigators from the Department of Buildings issued a failure to maintain violations to the building owners, but since the gates are not really a part of the building, the buildings department doesn't normally inspect them.
In May, a 12-year-old Brooklyn boy was crushed to death when he got caught in an electronic roll-up gate.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, park slope, child injured, new york news
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos