New York News
Woman, child injured by falling store gate in Brooklyn
PARK SLOPE (WABC) -- A child and his babysitter were seriously hurt when a store security gate crashed onto them in Brooklyn Thursday.
The incident happened in Park Slope, at Fifth Avenue and President Street.
The 2-year-old boy and his 59-year-old babysitter were walking by the Fifth Avenue Cat Clinic around 4 p.m. when the 16-foot-wide rolled-up gate and its frame came off the building and fell onto them.
The boy broke his leg and is listed in stable condition at Lutheran Hospital. The babysitter was treated and released.
Investigators from the Department of Buildings issued a failure to maintain violations to the building owners, but since the gates are not really a part of the building, the buildings department doesn't normally inspect them.
In May, a 12-year-old Brooklyn boy was crushed to death when he got caught in an electronic roll-up gate.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, park slope, child injured, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach 8 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 27 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus 34 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall