New York News
Woman thrown onto subway tracks
BRONX (WABC) -- A New York City woman who was pushed onto the subway tracks feels very lucky to be alive - and she has her classmates to thank.
The mere thought of stepping anywhere near a subway platform is a horrific one for Patricia Villa.
"Yes I'm scared. In a few months maybe I'll go back, but right now I'm very scared," Villa said.
On Tuesday evening around 8:45, she was waiting at the Hunts Point Avenue station for the number 6 train when she suddenly felt two large hands.
"I felt him grab my head and my head fell down like this," she explained.
As he lifted her, she heard a strange voice grunting. That voice and those hands belong to an unidentified man, who walked up behind Villa and threw her onto the tracks. She has seven stitches from where her head hit the rail and was briefly knocked unconscious. A few seconds later, she woke up to different voices. This time, it was her friends screaming to her from the platform.
"The train is going to kill you! The train is coming! The train is going to kill you! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! And I felt something warm running down my face," she explained.
Luckily, Luis Polanco was there. They attend the same ESL school. He saw the suspect fling the 5-foot-1 Colombian woman onto the tracks and he ran after him.
"I hit him in the back. When I hit him, I saw my friend trying to lift her up. At that moment, they were struggling," Polanco said.
So Polanco turned around to help lift Villa to safety and the suspect ran away. The Hunts Point Avenue station doesn't have surveillance cameras, so Villa hopes someone will come forward to help identify him.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, hunts point, crime, subway, subway crime, new york news, darla miles
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 56 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Russian media warns of turning US into 'radioactive dust'
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time 41 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million 36 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
56 min ago