New York News
Hasidic Jew fired from NYPD over beard length
NEW YORK -- An Orthodox Jew who was weeks away from becoming a New York City police officer said he has been kicked out of the Police Academy for refusing to trim his beard.
Former recruit Fishel Litzman of Monsey was fired Friday after multiple confrontations with the department over the length of his beard.
"I've left my beard natural all my life, I've never ever cut my beard," Litzman said.
It was beard or badge and he could not have both.
"According to the Torah, you are not allowed to cut your beard - period. End of story," Litzman added.
The 38-year-old police recruit and father of five from Monsey, New York is a devout Hasidic Jew. He has paramedic experience, speaks 3 languages, and carries a passion for the NYPD.
"I don't understand what the problem would be," said Litzman.
When he first applied to the academy he says he asked several times about his beard but was never discouraged.
"All I was ever told was to file for religious exemption, which is available," said Litzman
NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said the department's rules are reasonable and Litzman was aware of them when he signed up.
Litzman was first cited in January for his unkempt beard. He was a month away from receiving his shield when he was fired.
"I always wanted to be a police officer," said Litzman, a 38-year-old father of five who speaks Hebrew and Yiddish and was once a paramedic.
His attorney, Nathan Lewin, said the police department knew when Litzman applied that he would not trim his beard.
And now, said Lewin, it's a case of religious discrimination.
Lewin did not immediately respond to telephone and emails messages from The Associated Press seeking comment.
Like observant Muslim and Sikh officers, Hasidic officers are allowed to keep their beards for religious reasons but must keep them neat and trimmed.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police, orthodox jew, new york news, lucy yang
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 18 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus 25 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall