New York News
Teen swimmer drowns in waters off Queens
FAR ROCKAWAY (WABC) -- A teenager has died after he was pulled from the waters off of Far Rockaway, Queens, Tuesday afternoon.
The swimmer, who was identified as 14-year-old Akeem Craig of Queens was reported missing in the ocean off Beach 19th Street just before 12:45 p.m.
NYPD divers went into the water and pulled the boy to the beach.
Police say the boy was rushed to St. John's Episcopal Hospital, about a half mile from where he was found and was pronounced dead.
Witnesses say it took officials about 40 minutes to find Craig, when he went missing near 19th street in Far Rockaway.
Witnessess add the group was 4 girls and another boy.
One man said the boys were swimming in a restricted area and he warned them to move closer to the lifeguards.
"This water can be very dangerous, because there are dropoff points," said one witness.
A second teen was initially with the boy, but was rescued and is expected to be okay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, far rockaway, queens, new york news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash