New York News
A lifetime of keeping Central Park clean
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A former school teacher and accountant have spent their retirement over the last 25 years gardening, mulching, and picking up trash, but none of the work has been done on their property.
Abe Denowitz grew up, raised his family, and now volunteers with his wife Rita in Central Park. They are just two of the 900 member volunteer team with the Central Park Conservancy.
"We do mulching and weeding and we rake and we laugh... It's a high point for me," said Rita.
The work on this day was snapping off old blooms at the newly restored Rhodeendram mile at 90th and 5th.
Abe and Rita spend two days a week volunteering on their off days you might see them strolling around picking up trash, they will be the cute couple with green shirts looking out for the park.
For more, go to LINK: http://www.centralparknyc.org/
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, central park, new york news, amy freeze
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos