New York News
A lifetime of keeping Central Park clean
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A former school teacher and accountant have spent their retirement over the last 25 years gardening, mulching, and picking up trash, but none of the work has been done on their property.
Abe Denowitz grew up, raised his family, and now volunteers with his wife Rita in Central Park. They are just two of the 900 member volunteer team with the Central Park Conservancy.
"We do mulching and weeding and we rake and we laugh... It's a high point for me," said Rita.
The work on this day was snapping off old blooms at the newly restored Rhodeendram mile at 90th and 5th.
Abe and Rita spend two days a week volunteering on their off days you might see them strolling around picking up trash, they will be the cute couple with green shirts looking out for the park.
For more, go to LINK: http://www.centralparknyc.org/
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, central park, new york news, amy freeze
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos