New York News
A lifetime of keeping Central Park clean
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A former school teacher and accountant have spent their retirement over the last 25 years gardening, mulching, and picking up trash, but none of the work has been done on their property.
Abe Denowitz grew up, raised his family, and now volunteers with his wife Rita in Central Park. They are just two of the 900 member volunteer team with the Central Park Conservancy.
"We do mulching and weeding and we rake and we laugh... It's a high point for me," said Rita.
The work on this day was snapping off old blooms at the newly restored Rhodeendram mile at 90th and 5th.
Abe and Rita spend two days a week volunteering on their off days you might see them strolling around picking up trash, they will be the cute couple with green shirts looking out for the park.
For more, go to LINK: http://www.centralparknyc.org/
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, central park, new york news, amy freeze
- Metro North: Conn. train outage expected for days
- AccuWeather: Dreary Night
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello at graduation
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, 21 injured
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Man falls out window during Broadway show
- Video: Who will win the Indianapolis 500?
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers