New York News
Family of fallen NYPD officer receives special honor
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's a place that a father, mother, four young women, and a big brother never wanted to be in.
On Tuesday, Detective Peter Figoski's father, Frank accepted the Medal of Honor on his son's behalf.
In December, 47-year-old Peter was shot and killed during a robbery in Brooklyn. The suspect took off but was caught by Figoski's partner, who today received the medal for valor.
The 22-year veteran comes from a family of officers. A devoted father, Peter worked the midnight shift so he could take care of his daughters, who lived with him.
"His four girls were everything to him, they were his life," said his Peter's brother, Robert, "we'd always clown around, punch each other, even up until his death we would knock each other around, he was a fun guy, a really fun guy."
On the bittersweet Tuesday as the city honored Peter, Robert remembers the little boy he wrestled with, who grew up to be the man he admired.
"It's well appreciated. The pain will never go away, it's just means a lot to know that, it really does," he said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, lower manhattan, nypd, new york news, kemberly richardson
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children 56 min ago
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 55 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos