New York News
2 dead in Washington Heights murder-suicide
WASHINGTON HEIGHTS (WABC) -- Gunfire at an apartment building in Washington Heights that left a man and a woman dead overnight.
The shooting happened around 1:20 this morning inside an apartment on the 4th floor of 189 Audubon Avenue in Washington Heights.
When police arrived on the scene, they found a man with a gun in the lobby of the building.
Officials said the man fired his weapon toward the front door and then fled inside the building.
When they finally got into the building, authorities found a 29-year-old man on the 1st floor, unconscious and unresponsive, with a gunshot wound to his head. He was taken to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, where he later died.
A firearm was recovered from the scene, police said.
When police reached the 4th floor apartment, they found a 26-year-old woman in the bedroom with a gunshot wound to her head. EMS pronounced her dead at the scene.
She was identified as Michelle DeLacruz. The man was identified as 29-year-old Sergio Azcona. Authorities said DeLacruz had at least two orders of protection against Azcona.
No officers were injured.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, washington heights, crime, shooting, new york news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97